(Lifestyle Intervention For Total health--a University Program)
The LIFT UP worksite wellness program consists of:
• Four individual appointments with a registered dietitian (RD) over a 26-week period, with planned follow up for two additional appointments at weeks 52 and 104 to track outcomes over two years
• Two additional appointments (weeks 18 and 38) that can be done in person, over the telephone or via video braodcast.
• Convenient on-line access to diet and lifestyle resources and presentations created specifically for participants; optional in-person weekly educational sessions for the first 12 weeks
• Nutrition-focused health screenings (body fat, waist circumference, body mass index (BMI), blood pressure, blood lipids and glucose)
• Individualized diet counseling and on-going support from a registered dietitian during the program
• In-person weigh-ins
• Weight management strategies
• Optional weight checks
- The Institute for Nutrition Interventions continues to offer the LIFT UP program—free of charge. Rutgers employees and students who meet eligibility criteria based on BMI (≥25) and / or waist circumference measures associated with increased risk of chronic disease (≥35 inches in women; ≥40 inches in men) may participate on a first-come, first-served basis.
- We will be recruiting on September 10 for the next LIFT UP! session taking place on the Piscataway campus. The next session will start the week of September 14, 2015.
- Interested participants are invited to attend an information session to learn more about the program:
- Thursday, September 10, 2015
- Piscataway Campus
- Research Tower
- 675 Hoes Lane West Piscataway, NJ 08854-5627
- Room V10
- Attendance at the information session is required for enrollment. Spots in this research study are limited, and registration will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Contact the registered dietitian (Rachel Griehs, MS, RD, LDN) at firstname.lastname@example.org or 973-202-4550 for more information.
LIFT UP Testimonials
"I joined the program because I was tired and worn out and wanted to lose weight. I've learned the importance of preparation and balancing my meals. I am conscious of my portion sizes and now eat more frequently. I don't feel deprived and feel that this is a "lifestyle change" versus a "diet". I realize this is a gradual process and understand the importance of gradual weight loss and behavior change". - -New Brunswick participant who lost 15 lbs after 13 weeks
"When I joined the program, I could not even walk and could barely stand up. I was always tired. I have diabetes and high blood pressure and when I met the registered dietitian I knew it was time for a change. I stopped drinking soda and now drink water, no longer eat junk food and now eat real food like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, baked chicken and fish. I went to the doctor to treat my foot and now move more every day. This program changed my life!" -Newark participant who lost 22 lbs
"I believe that this program is helping me to make better choices in my food selection and in my exercise regimen. Some of the benefits to date include:
- 9 lbs. weight loss thus far
- Confidence that I can continue losing weight over the course of time until I reach my optimum personal goals
- I do not find myself concerned with “being hungry” due to more traditional dieting approaches and I am confident that I can avoid the “pendulum swings” associated with weight loss followed by weight gain. The long term , gradual approach inherent to the life style changes of the Live Well (LIFT Up) program makes sense and are working for me
- Cholesterol levels improving" -Newark participant
"This program has taught me how to have accountability to myself for what I eat and how much I really exercise. As a goal-oriented person who loves to measure progress I have found monitoring my diet to be a real eye-opener in terms of what I eat. It has helped." "Having a daily goal for steps to take is another helpful target. I now set my own goals to exceed what I did previous day! The result? I walk MANY steps over the target consistently. I am making slow but steady progress towards my ultimate goal and have lost six pounds in the first three months and hope to continue with gradual weight loss well beyond the program." -New Brunswick participant
“My goal was to educate myself about the elements of nutrition, exercise and stress management and incorporate this knowledge into my lifestyle. I learned the importance of planning all meals in advance to ensure I eat what I should, on time and in the right quantity". - Piscataway participant
“When I first met with the registered dietitian in November I was actually shocked with how few "rules and regulations" there were. Since starting, I have kept a food log most days. I have had my "moments" but I have been able to get on track by the next meal. I wear my pedometer and that is an area that I need to start to focus on: moving more. I have lost 28 pounds.” -New Brunswick participant who lost a total of 43 lbs
everything I eat, because it really is
about portion control and exercise. I
actually eat more than I used to, but I’m
making healthier choices.” -Piscataway participant who lost 12 lbs after 13 weeks
“I really didn’t know where to begin and after the 1st meeting it definitely steered me in the right direction. I am now eating larger amounts of vegetables and fruits than ever before. Another downfall for me is exercise. I am and never was a person that exercised. I now try to walk at least 2 or 3 times a week for ½ hr. each. I know that is not enough, but it is a start. I have lost 12 lbs. and for me that is a wonderful feeling and something I didn’t think I could do." -Stratford participant
"I recently went for my annual physical am happy to say that my cholesterol levels have dropped tremendously and my blood pressure is under control. I still have a ways to go but I know that this is a process that will take some time. I would encourage anyone to join the program because of the support and the guidance received. The Blog posting lets you know that you are not alone as everyone shares their progress as well as setbacks. The program has made me realize that a healthy lifestyle is attainable.” -Newark participant
"It makes a difference to have a credible source of information (a real dietician) rather than the latest “miracle” diet that can, at best, lead to quick loss followed by regain and, at worst, to real health problems.” -Piscataway participant
“I definitely recommend this program to anyone who wants to lose weight or just feel healthier. A special unique benefit of this program has been having access to a knowledgable up-to-date registered dietitian. The RD reads the blogs and comments on the content. She is available to answer specific questions.” -Stratford participant
“I feel really good about being in control of my eating and eating healthier foods.” -New Brunswick participant
“Being healthy is very important to me since my genetics are against me and I know what will happen if I don’t make healthy changes right now. I would recommend the liftup program to everyone! It’s for stressed out students and employees, parents, grandparents…etc. If you want to feel and look healthy then you need to start by Living Well.”-Newark participant